Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MAY NEWS...

MAY 15TH

Familia,
Hello everyone, this week was very...I can't describe it. I don't want to write very much, but I do want to share a few small experiences from this week. Of course we had Mother's Day last Sunday and it was kind of weird to see everyone after 5 months.haha I really enjoyed the Skype call and getting to talk with mom. I loved the testimonies that were shared to me from both mom and dad. I should have shared mine in Spanish to you, and I'm sorry I did't. You both looked pretty busy and there was a bad connection. It was super weird being able to understand you two in Spanish.haha I liked talking to abuela also, and I promise by Christmas my Spanish will be awesome. Ok so about this week. I had a very sweet experience with a black lady last Sunday morning. Elder Yellowhorse and I were waiting at a bus stop on the way to church when this sweet little black lady walked up to me. She asked me if I could say a prayer for her. I said of course I can, and I asked her her name and a little bit about herself. She shared with us that she felt like it was to hard to live in this world without God in our lives. She told me how she felt like she was burdened down by her work, and other responsibilities. I offered a humble prayer asking Heavenly Father to help her through this point in her life and to bless her with strength through her trials. She was so happy that we were able to pray with her, and she started crying.ha It was a very strong spiritual moment and I am thankful she had the courage to ask us to share that prayer with her. I also had a similar experience this last Monday. We had gone to our local library to email some information to the mission. I was seated at a computer next to a couple other patrons, when the man siting to the left of me asked me to help him translate a paragraph of a book he was reading. I guess from my name tag he knew I was a Spanish elder. The book he was reading was about the gospels in the new testament ( big surprise), and we first was asking me some weird doctrinal questions that I didn't know how to answer. I told him what I believed was a good answer and we somehow got to the topic of Christ's atonement and how the man felt about God. He started sharing with me his deep shame he had about a drinking problem he had and how he never wanted me to feel the pain he had in his soul. He told me he had been searching through religious book trying to find one that would help him to feel closer to God. He had read the Book of Mormon and believed it to be true. I sat quietly as he continued to pour out his feelings and share with me what I think he had been wanting to tell someone for a long time. He cried as he told me the pain and anger he had towards his mistakes, but that he knew that only Christ was his Savior. He told me to forgive him for his sudden testimony and that he was grateful that I was there to listen. It was a powerful experience I won't soon forget. I learned this week that as missionaries we have been set apart with power and authority. People can see and feel that. I know that these people were comfortable to share the feelings of their hearts with me because of the sacred nature of my calling. I know that if I live worthily to my calling, them I will be able to continue to be a "light" to other people around me. Very humbling week! Well that's it!! Have a great week everyone, love you tons.

Elder Mora

No comments:

Post a Comment